Thursday, October 03, 2019

The Unqualified Expansion of Trieste


Well, there are at least two DOTs. To obtain a driver’s license, you need documents. The DOT website’s requirement for documentation I had well in hand. Now the other DOT on-site had other requirements. They handed me a pamphlet detailing what I was required to produce. I hadn’t thought of a birth certificate, as what else, proof of birth, (and if I didn‘t have one, would have, absurdly, a death certificate have done the trick?) was necessary to buy a car, take out a mortgage, enter college, or commit to a loan with a visit to the county seat as preamble. Really now, did you say the original?

No, I do not routinely carry on me a birth certificate. My ever-prepared wife knew of its location. Therefore, we had to return. We did so in an hour. Before that, we had spent an hour and a half waiting. Take a number, sit. If you sat in the waiting closet, you were with fifteen others. I couldn’t take it. My heart condition does not permit such closest-possible placing on a good day. This day, rain was on its way. The dense humidity made for breathing difficulties for me more than if I had been alone in the waiting slit. I stood in the doorway, one foot propping open the door a big crack and I inhaled cooler stirred air. The other waiters thanked me for my dutiful foot placement. Others sat a few feet left or right of the door to the office proper. These seats seemed to be for complications in the process. Anyone there took a long time at the counter in front of one of two women.  The one woman, in central position , never smiled, she assessed the need and did what was required. 

The other two DOT personnel also did as required. They did not indulge in despair, anger, or frustration. Another day, don’t tell me who, tell me what, over and over in a  submarine compartment. One donned a baseball cap, exited the building and re-entered around half an hour later, forgetting the cap was on , sitting behind a sign for next counter please. After a time ( around 45 minutes) all three were doing licenses. The third of the DOT sat around at the end of a curve in the counter, somewhat at the back. Very close behind him you took your test (on a computer screen) if need be. The now capless one got the variety of the day as a, I swear, a 12-year-old came with Mom to get a permit. She got smiles from the processor. 

The one in the back was doing a fast rate. Answer questions, present docs, look in viewer. Stand before a backdrop, smile if you got it. You pay, sign, goodbye. (Elsewhere if the photo doesn’t suit you, you get another try, and it is done in compensatory spacious accommodations while waiters actively converse. Here it was a solitary turn, oppressed by lack of space and don’t cross the waiters, in all such matters once done there was no way back.) He was going and going. Sometime when I was letting someone out or in and then re-establishing my position at the door, he left his chair. Maybe ten minutes, must be a toilet back there somewhere. The middle person also went back, a long time, same toilet?

All three from the DOT contributed to melancholic output in pinched quarters. No one waiting voiced a protest, some did mutter “Letter to the Editor”. Most were relieved to get the hell out of there. Theirs had been a melancholic wait. Like confined to Trieste during the last century. Of course, the DOT Three couldn’t leave. It may have been hopeless resignation or the end-is-near-anyway mentality that prevailed among them. I rather think they were participatory in the general milieu of kindness, aiding anticipation, politeness, and common courtesy of the region. I guess to be “common” as in what was once ordinary respect and laissez admittance to the group which was in play.

Nevertheless, neither they nor me nor the waiters should be in such a zone the DOH must have had requests to close down. Do so and no licenses? Mental and social and physical and medical issues are endemic to the waiting area. People escape into their phones. I got the door. The employees had no escape. And back at it the next workday. Back to 150 more. They gotta drive. They gotta have licenses. The SOBs and DOBs of the DOH do not gotta do anything. And of course they don’t.

This you know as you exit town. Could stop at Billy’s on your way out. Ice cream, yes, but check the little signs in the little windows. I had a chili dog.  Back in the car and it is  rare hereabouts - a Nissan Versa. Driven out of town under open skies, green fields, and a simply arranged earth all about. Drive on, don’t try to think along the lines of melancholy. Don’t approach mourning as you approach exceeding the speed limit. The DOH must have many more at the edge of sadness, anyway.

No comments: