Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Island of Second Sight by Thelen as recommended by Zolov, Weiss, and Hoople from Amazon and Riding of the New York Times

 

I don't really want to read it. Another must read. Another groan from me. But since it is effusively "recommended"...and why do I read the reviews? OK, a quick check on Amazon, but a little too much in price as I was hoping for ebook savings. Library? On order.

Amazon's reviews, by the way, collectively give me more reason to read it rather than the NY Times review that told me of permutations of predilections all too familiar summed across books across the years. So I wanted another reason to read it and the other thing it has going for it, is style and humor. Too little of these two, as examples, were in the Times review to get me to buy it.

Then, too, the reviewers aren't looking to sell the book to me. I can read it when the price drops or the library copy can be checked out. It would make more sense for me to read any of anything’s reviews months or longer from now so that any hype, justified or otherwise, could die down or level off and the price and library availability would decrease and increase, respectively.

No comments: