Wednesday, May 10, 2006

System Restore as a HP Warranty Compliance Feature

Hewlett Packard Pulls a Fast One

I called bigshot HP support about a wee CD-DVD writer that no longer functioned. It was still under warranty. I had used it very little, doing about 12 DVD burns and 3 CD burns.
The warranty does state that you “may” be “directed” by HP to verify, load, install and run tests or “use HP remote support solutions where applicable”. Now, wherein does this “direction” by HP entail a system restore? That is, you must put the computer back to what it was before you purchased it. So that would mean I would lose all of 10 months worth of loads, saves, and installs. Like I never purchased the damn computer, and don’t I wish.

I refused four times to do a system restore. I spoke with four little-support people. Three were of Hindu extraction. The fourth one, after three hours of previous phone involvement, was an American female, the modern day American man, who no doubt had caller ID awaiting my call and she, the hatchet, was to pick up.

Oh, yes, nothing can or will be done for you unless, as I see by a cursory glance at the call history (with note to cut my throat), you must comply and do a system restore. I hope I did not bleat out that I write and edit and that I use the computer for such and three hours of drawing repeated lines in the sand to establish that it was “not a software problem” but really a defective product was enough already. And that I had deadlines now and tomorrow. And how could I save my work with the writer in kaput mode? Oh, yes, you corporate flunkies, the word crap applies to the product and to you. I was respectful enough in informing them that I would no longer purchase HP products. I have an HP laptop (that suffered drive failure, out of warranty) and I had a previous HP desktop.

So now I have an external writer hooked up to the HP. Once sufficient cash becomes available, the HP is junk.

No comments: